How To: Homemade Butter in 10 Minutes
Everyone loves butter, everyone understands the importance of butter and everyone knows how simply wonderful it is when spread it on a piece of freshly baked bread, or when it is mixed with some freshly minced garlic and smothered over a steak.
Now how on earth could you possibly make butter any better? Well…. You could always make it yourself…? And what if we were to tell you that you could make your very own fresh butter in just over 10 minutes?
We are going to show you exactly how you can make your own butter.
You Will Need:
- Kilner Butter Churn
- A Butter Dish
- 2 x Butter Paddles
- A Jar (for collecting the spare buttermilk)
- Spatula (recommended for scraping out your butter)
- 300mls of Fresh Double Cream (Left at room temperature for a minimum of 2 hours)
- Any Flavourings of your choice
Add your room temperature cream to the Kilner Butter Churn and tightly attach the lid (make sure it is secure, you don’t want to paint your walls cream)
Now for the fun part, get your guns ready for some churning! Turn the handle on the top to start turning the cogs. You want to churn for approximately ten minutes and watch the cream get thicker and thicker
Just keep churning, just keep churning. You will know when your butter is ready as you will see it start to turn from a thick cream to clumps of butter (the solid) and buttermilk (the liquid).
You now want to separate the liquid from the soild, you could do this by holding a Spatula against the side of the jar and allowing the liquid to flow into a spare jar or you could place a sheet of Muslin over a jar and allow it to drain through, really it is up to you.
The next step is to give your butter a good ole squeeze in a bowl of ice cold water whilst using the Butter Paddles to get rid of any excess buttermilk that may have got caught in the nooks and crannies, this is also a good opportunity to give your butter a light knead so that it is super smooth.
Lastly, you may want to mould the butter using the Butter Paddles.
Here is where you could leave it as it and place it a Butter Dish or you could flavour it will salt, pepper, chilli, honey you choose! However, we would highly recommend this recipe from Kilner that uses Chilli and Lime for flavouring.
Chilli and Lime Homemade Butter
- 115g unsalted butter
- ½ tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 2 tsp grated lime zest
- A squeeze of lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature and free from excess buttermilk.
- Place your butter in a bowl and add in the chilli flakes, lime zest, lime juice and a pinch of salt. Using your Butter Paddles to combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly. At this point, you should test the flavour of the butter.
- If you want to make it fierier add in more chilli flakes. Your butter is ready to be served. Serve straight away or place in a Butter Dish store in the fridge.
- Consume within a week.